I want to reassure our residents that the City of Champaign remains committed to fostering a friendly and welcoming community for all who choose to live here. We are proud of our strong, diverse, and inclusive community – one that works together to improve the quality of life and promote equal opportunities for all.
- Are City agencies free to ask residents about their immigration status?
- Can they report that status to authorities?
- Can they use it as the basis to refuse City services to residents?
- Can Champaign police officers detain people solely because they think are undocumented?
- Can Champaign police question crime victims and witnesses, let alone suspects, about their immigration status?
- Will Champaign police refuse to partner with ICE in a 287(g) program? (Unlikely, as they didn't before.)