Thursday, March 27, 2008

Now all I need are the butcher and the candlestick maker

Because moon-grrl asked so nicely, here's an update on my foray into the world of baking with Artisan Bread In Five Minutes A Day:

Rolls

It really is every bit as easy as the book suggests. It's a matter of 10-15 minutes to mix the ingredients and you're touching the dough to shape it for 5 minutes, max. I'll photoblog better next time I do this and believe me, there will be a next time.

This whole thing started from a The Splendid Table podcast episode. You can listen to that episode here.

(Weird fact. When you do a Technorati search for "Artisan Bread In Five Minutes A Day," one of the blogs that pops up on the first page of searches is "My Penile Enlargement Reviews." Seriously.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's very bizarre that you and I are in different states and yet on the same bread baking schedule. I've been making whole wheat sponge starter bread every 4-5 days for a couple of weeks now. I'm using the no-knead method of rising and it is coming out amazingly, professionally great looking and tasting. Have you posted to OEaiTK? I haven't been there in a while.

Narc said...

I think it's because we share a brain. Possibly a networked brain. With wireless Internet becoming ubiquitous it's easier to sync up.

I haven't posted that recipe yet, but I'll add it to the pile. Poached pears went up today.

What kind should I make next? I'm thinking some sort of whole wheat, as well.

David said...

You'll have to post the nutritional factoids for this bread... calories, fat content, etc.

Jonathan said...

Nice buns!

Jonathan said...

My grandmother NEVER bought bread. She always made it from scratch. But as I recall, she always seemed to be baking bread.

Narc said...

David: I made the six rolls in the picture out of one loaf's worth of dough, and they come out to 140 calories each. For a loaf shape, it's a bit more difficult to judge, but one-sixth of the loaf should be 140 calories. There's zero fat and essentially zero fiber.

Johnathan: Thanks for the complement. My buns don't get half the appreciation they should. I've made regular bread plenty of times and it is a bit of a pain; you have to knead it, let it rise, knead it again, shape it, let it rise, then bake it. If you want more bread next week, you have to start over. This recipe really is a matter of 15 minutes to mix it and 5 minutes to prep it before you bake it.

Anonymous said...

This recipe really is a matter of 15 minutes to mix it and 5 minutes to prep it before you bake it.

Well, I'm sold. Going to try this ASAP.