Saturday, April 19, 2008

My five

The mighty Gamera tagged me with this a while ago and I'm just now getting around to it. So here are five facts about myself:

five things:

1. I really hate tomatoes. When raw, anyway. It's something about the texture, I think. Cooked, I have no objection. Which is odd, since I have a friend who hates cooked tomatoes in any form, but has no objection to raw ones. I think I'm learning to like olives (except for those nasty things that come on frozen pizza), but tomatoes are more of a challenge.

2. I don't like California. There's nothing actually wrong with it; something about it just grates on me the wrong way. Maybe it's the fact that the weather is always insufferably perfect, or that they don't always number their highway exits. Or maybe it's that there are just so damn many people everywhere. We always joke that Champaign-Urbana is a city surrounded by a sea of corn, but in Southern California, you're always in a suburb surrounded by an sea of more suburbs.

3. I'm terrified to fly. It used to be that I didn't mind it at all, then became gradually worse. And now I can't really get on a plane at all. It's getting affecting where I look for jobs, even. I probably should do something about it, but not dealing with the problem is always easier than doing something about it.

4. When I was a freshman in college, I dislocated my kneecap while playing racquetball. (The really embarrassing part is that I was playing alone.) Two years later, I slipped on some wet concrete, fell down and either dislocated it again or wrenched it badly. I wound up having surgery on it a year later. It's better; I can go up stairs without it sounding like I have a ratchet in my pants, but getting up from a squatting position can be distinctly uncomfortable.

5. There are only four interesting things about me. Yes, I know this is a total cop-out, but I really cant think of anything else.

Since all the bloggers I know have done this already I'm going to tag PZ Myers, Atrios, Glenn Greenwald, Andrew Tobias, and Dr. Fig. People, of which, only one reads this blog. See if you can figure out which. One of these things is not like the other...

5 comments:

David said...

Someday I'm going to kidnap you, drug you, throw you on a plane with some hot male flight attendants plying you with liquor and eager to explain the membership requirements for the Mile High Club, and disembark in some incredible tropical location that you could never have driven to. That'll get you over the flying thing.

Anonymous said...

You'd be completely grossed out by my penchant for eating raw tomatoes as if they were apples. *slurp*

I like David's idea for getting over your flying phobia.

Narc said...

Just don't forget the drugs. I hear they're doing great things with horse tranquilizers these days.

David said...

I have my Travelocity alert set for "hot horny tropical male flight attendants." We'll see what comes up. Ahem.

Fig said...

Wow. I am in extremely august company.

1. I, too, have a fear of airplanes. I don't mind flying in them, in fact I love flying. It turns me into a very excited 8 year old "look! a cloud!" "look, teeny tiny cars!" I don't even mind being near an airport where I can see planes take off and land.

What I hate is low flying planes in the air. They wake me out of sleep. I'm incapable of having a conversation when a low flying plane goes overhead unless I figure out where it is and can see it. I didn't used to have this problem. I'm fairly sure it is 2ndary to being in NYC and seeing both planes hit the towers.

2. I once ran a half marathon and climbed a frozen waterfall within 24 hours of each other. I've competed in 5 marathons, a 50 mile race, and 2 triathlons. I think of myself as unathletic. My short, curvy, eastern-european body would back me up on this.

3. I used to keep bees. I would like to keep bees again.

4. I read fiction freakishly fast. Fast enough that people think I'm making it up or just flipping through pages. Unfortunately, I can't do that with textbooks.

5. I ended up in the advanced math track because my 6th grade teacher misgraded my final exam and gave me 7 extra points that I didn't deserve. I've now gone on to do calculus, differential equations, and multiple graduate level biostatistics and regression courses and I still feel like a complete fraud. In the back of my mind I'm a little worried that someone is going to say "Hey! you're not supposed to be here! Go back and Mrs. Anderson's regular math!"