Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Must ... resist ...

For some time now, I've been thinking of replacing my current computer. There's nothing really wrong with it, but it's starting to show its age, and isn't quite up to snuff for playing most of the games that are coming out these days. I was thinking about just getting one from one of the custom build shops out there. I was, that is, until Jon, as the current incarnation of the Prince of Darkness, suggested building one.

So that set me off on a bunch of reading and window shopping. A few nerdgasms later, I came up with what I think is a pretty decent system:

MSI K8N Neo4-F motherboard
Athlon 64 3000+
1 GB RAM
Leadtek GeForce 6600 GT 128 MB, PCI-Express video card
Hitachi T7K250 160 GB hard drive
Antec SLK 3800B case (black is so slimming, don't you know?)

The only question is whether or not to buy the motherboard and processor as a combo from some place that would ship it already assembled. Now I just need to work up the courage to drop that much money over at Newegg.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I used to love newegg, but they have gotten greedy with shipping, as a bundle of items still gets 5 here and 2 here... they are one of my spawns I guess. I prefer more flexible options for shipping, since it is purely evil to charge 5 bucks to ship a 6 dollar keyboard.
-Prince of Darkness

Narc said...

The shipping for keyboards there does seem to be a bit high, but I suppose those are a low-margin item in a large, oddly-shaped box.

I like the fact that they actually break out the shipping costs per item, so you can see up front exactly how much you're paying for shipping. At most other places, it's something you don't even find out about until the very end of your shopping.

For example, I priced the same components at Newegg and Zipzoomfly, and even though many of the items at Zip shipped for free, the total difference in cost was only about 5%.