Tuesday, September 07, 2004

ALBIL

David loaned me Steve Kluger's Almost Like Being in Love this weekend. I find myself having a hard time putting it down, I'm enjoying it so much. I was having to supress fits of giggles reading it on the bus this afternoon. It's like the gay Bridget Jones's Diary. (And if you know me, you know that's high praise, indeed.)

I have a feeling that it's about to take a turn for the serious soon, though. And it's the sort of book that I enjoy as I read it but feel bad when I stop, because I've never had a boyfriend like that and probably never will. (Same reason I gave up renting romantic comedies.)

So far, I think it would make a really good movie, if they correctly adapted the book's device of telling the story in memos and journal entries. Since Fried Green Tomatoes managed to do it, I can only hope this one would, too.

1 comment:

David said...

Actually, I think adapting the book to the screen would cause it to lose much of its immediacy and intimacy. But if they did adapt it... who would you cast? And don't say Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. Please.