Saturday, September 11, 2004

Music

I'm starting a list of music lyrics I find particularly compelling and evocative. Probably an ongoing sort of thing.

"What once was Emerald City is now a crystal town."
Scissor Sisters, Return to Oz

This is the song that spawned this idea for this post. I can't really explain why, but I just love this lyric. The whole song is a wonderful metaphor for lost innocence, and the fact that it uses a children's story makes it all the more poingant. The song also has a shout-out to The Dark Crystal, continuing to draw imagery from children's literature.

"...the vows we made weigh like a stone in my heart.../
I'm not saying I'm replacing love for some other word/
to describe the sacred tie that bound me to you

10,000 Maniacs, Jezebel

There is just something about this song that makes me visualize a woman sitting in the dark looking at her sleeping husband regretting some of the choices she made in her life. Note that the singer specifically doesn't want a divorce; she seems to be asking for forgiveness more than anything else.

Suggestions for additons are always welcome and appreciated.

No comments: